Sunday, January 24, 2010

Math Score



As a member of this year's TOS Homeschool Crew, I must admit, we have had quite a few math programs to review. Now, for many of you, who read my reviews, you know that math is not my favorite subject. So when I heard we were going to review Mathscore, I was a little nervous. I had never heard of it. So I had no idea what it would entail. Would it involve alot of teacher involvement (eegads!!) Or would this be user friendly... by user friendly I mean teacher friendly!

I am pleased to tell you that it was indeed user friendly. MathScore is a subscription based service. This is not entertainment! This is pure mathematics. Designed to support from  2nd grade through Algebra 1.
Here is a little bit about MathScore;


  • "Randomly generates math problems that automatically adapt difficulty based on performance. This patent-pending technology keeps students engaged because the math problems adapt to be neither too easy nor too frustrating.

  • Instant feedback with step-by-step solution explanations. Students often learn from our explanations and short lessons. In addition, parents and teachers alike don't have to do any paperwork.

  • Focused on learning, not playing: MathScore students aren't distracted by jumping monkeys and dancing pigs that have no educational value. At the same time, MathScore's system of time limits and a rating system create a "I have to beat this level mentality" that keeps students engaged.

  • Fill-in-the-blank, not multiple choice: Success on MathScore cannot possibly happen by clever guesswork, allowing you to trust our system when we say your child is proficient.

  • Color-coded analysis tools help you understand student progress at glance.

  • Analysis tools tell you exactly how much time was spent actually working, not merely sitting in front of the computer.

  • Absolutely no installation required: Not only is MathScore Internet-based, it doesn't even require a browser plug-in! You can use MathScore from any computer, not just the computer you used to sign up."


I have to tell you, my son thoroughly enjoyed the beat the clock dynamic of this program. He did not want to stop working with MathScore.

Because math is not my favorite subject, and because I have had students with special needs, I have often feared that the children are lacking in the area of math.

With MathScore, I feel like I will be able to quickly get them exactly where they need to be.  While this is not a complete curriculum, and they will still be using their math books, MathScore will help them practice and master the math skills they are learning.

My plan, is to continue to use MathScore and come back here and blog about our progress every 4-6 weeks or so.

I started the kids out at a level lower than they are in their books, as I wanted them to get accustomed to the program and how it works. Which they have done. So now, we will see how well they will be able to progress in their math studies.

They will be spending 20-30 minutes daily on Math Score. Won't you join me, as we see where this journey leads us?

If this sounds like something that would benefit your family, then please visit MathScore to learn more about this program.

You will find that the pricing is fairly affordable. I do like the fact that they recognize the need for a price break for subsequent children! 
The prices are as follows;
First child: $14.95/month
Second child: $5/month
Each addition: $3.95/month
There are some other unique lump sum pricing options, as well as, the ability to suspend services for a period of time for vacations without penalty. Please visit their site for more info.

Please visit the crew blog to see what my crew mates are saying about MathScore!

No comments:

Post a Comment