Friday, January 22, 2010

Really? We are talking about Socialization....again???

This has got to be my least favorite homeschool question!  I think we are asked that question many times, because people are so unsure about homeschooling and 'socialization' is the buzz word. So if they start with that question, hopefully it will lead to more in depth questions and answers.






If the question is coming from a real perspective homeschool parent, I don't mind taking the time to answer. However, when the question comes from curious on lookers, it is one of those questions I would rather not waste my time on.  






When I am asked this question by someone who knows my family, my children in particular, I usually direct them to the children with an answer like, ' You know my children, to they seem unable to socialize with their peers?' For others who do not know us I will go in depth a bit more..






Our children like most homeschooled children are involved in many activities.  We are active in our church, we attend 3 times a week, which does not include any extra activities, like youth group, etc. They have served in ministries at church such as VBS, nursery, bus ministry, and children's choir.






Over the years they have participated in various classes with other children. Jujitsi, piano (one on one, with twice yearly recitals), PE, Horseback riding, just to name a few.



 



Our homeschool group, also has monthly gatherings for the kids to get to know each other better, and field trips, and parties, etc... My children have not lacked for good long lasting friendships!






One of the benefits of homeschooling, in regards to socialization, is that not only do you have the ability to really get to know  the children that your kids are getting to know, but you are also able to get to know the family as well. So you are able to help nurture an appropriate relationship, or nip one in the beginning if need be.


 


                


Also, as homeschoolers, they are not pigeon holed into only interacting with their age group. They are comfortable interacting with small children and adults, and all the ages in between!




                                                                    



I hope you have also enjoyed some of the photos throughout the post... of my children, living out socialization, instead of figuring out how to add it into their day! Do they look like they are un-socialized???





The TOS Homeschool Crew Fan page on Facebook has started a new Weekly Blog Cruise series.  This weeks question was on socialization. Visit the fan page to see what others have to say on this topic!!!




2 comments:

  1. Great post!! I love seeing the photos. Funny how people think our children are so sheltered. I actually think that homeschooled children have MORE social activities!


    Sheri - The Homeschool Princess

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved all the photo proof. ;-)

    ReplyDelete