Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Virginia Soaps and Scents



As a member of TOS Homeschool Crew we received a complimentary sampler from Virginia Soaps and Scents, in order to complete this review.  I had read about them in The Old Schoolhouse magazine and had been interested in trying their products. So, I was excited to hear that I would be reviewing them this year!

I have a friend who began making soaps, so I am a little bit familiar with hand made soaps. Well, only familiar enough to know that I like them. I watched part of the soap making process and  it looks very labor intensive... a labor of love.

In our sampler we received 'bed and breakfast' size versions of the larger bar. The bar you purchase is 4 times the size of what I held in my hand and weighs in at 4.75 ounces.

Virginia Soaps and Scents has based their business on their 'Handcrafted Olive Oil Soap'. I have learned that this is a real soap, not a detergent. Most of what you would find on the shelves in the stores are detergent bars rather than soap. They use all natural ingredients with no added chemicals for hardening or lathering properties.  The bars are extremely hard and long lasting due to the recipe they created. The bars do have a fluffy lather from the generous amount of coconut oil that is added. 

I received  Fresh Orange, Coconut Lemon grass and Oatmeal, Milk and Honey.
Now, I have only tried the Fresh Orange bar of soap. That is because it is indeed long lasting. I did not want to open and use all of them at once. However, I have smelled the other scents and they also are very pleasant. I really enjoy the fragrance. It is not too over powering and not too faint. It is just... right!

You can purchase one bar for $4.50. However they have several different discounts offered;
             3 bars for $12
     Buy 4 get 1 FREE
                Buy 10 Bars  for $35

The next item I received was a sample Shampoo Bar. I received the Ginger Lime Scent, though it is also available in Cherry Almond and Coconut Lemongrass.  They even have one specially formulated for Oily Hair in the scent of Tangerine Grapefruit.  Their shampoo bar contains no added color. It is also olive oil based  but also contains castor oil which helps to hold in moisture. I was very curious about the shampoo bar, it is so different than what we are accustom to using. The full size shampoo bar is 5.5 oz.  It will give you the same number of shampoos as a 32 oz. bottle of shampoo. They also recommend that you can use it all over if you have dry skin, and that it is also great to shave with.  I did try the bar. I liked it the more that I used it.  It did clean my hair.... it even had a "squeak" to it!  The Shampoo Bars are available for $5.50 or 2 for $10.

The last thing that we received was the Laundry Soap Kit. Now I am going to be honest with you, I have been making my own laundry soap for quite some time. So this was not foriegn to me.  I did try their product and it made up a nice batch of Laundry Soap. My clothes came out clean! And with 5 kids  I have plenty of laundry to try it on !!

You have two options with the Laundry Soap. You can purchase it in the kit form, as they gave it to us. Which includes the grated cleaning soap and a pre measured amount of Borax and Washing Soda.  That will make two gallons of a gel form soap. The cost for that is $4.95. Or you can purchase the cleaning bar, which is just the soap, ungrated. And you would then add Borax and Washing Soda to it, and follow the same recipe. The cleaning Bar costs $3.95. And it will make 2 batches.  Each batch should give you between 64 and 72 loads of laundry.


I really have enjoyed using all of the products from Virginia Soaps & Scents.  I find all of their prices very reasonable. If you put a priority on high quality products that do not contain chemicals, then this is the company for you. I do not think you will find a higher quality, more reasonably priced product.

On a side note, this is a long time Christian Homeschooling Family. It is a joy to support like minded families!

Please take some time to peruse their site. And as always, please visit the crew blog to see what others have to say about Virginia Soaps & Scents.


No comments:

Post a Comment